YourSurprise.com B.V. (hereafter referred to as: YourSurprise) are happy to have you as our customer and want you to know that your personal information is in safe hands with us. We are very careful when it comes to this sensitive information and aim to be as transparent as possible. Below, you can read all about how your personal information is used. If you have any questions or wish to know which information we use, please contact YourSurprise using the information below this statement.
We need information from you based on legitimate interest. This sounds fancy, but is actually pretty simple. We’re a webshop that sells lovely gifts, which means we need to let everyone know that we exist. This is why we use direct marketing. We also need information from you in order to successfully deliver your order to you. This information is used to carry out the purchase agreement we make with you when you place an order with us. In order to stay in contact with you regarding our service and assortment, we then ask for information from you after you’ve placed your order, in the hopes that you will return to YourSurprise.
We can process the following information:
- Name. We like to address you by your name, for a personal touch.
- Address details. In order to deliver your gifts as soon as possible, we need your address details. We share these details with the shipping agent delivering your parcel, so that they know where it needs to go.
- Email address. We use your email address to keep you up to date on your order status. We also share this with the shipping agent delivering your parcel, so that they can keep you updated on the parcel status during its journey. After your order has been delivered, we ask you if you’re happy with your purchase and send you personal offers, for your birthday and 1-year anniversary of being our customer, for example.
- Phone number. If we need to ask a question about your order, or wish to share information with you regarding delivery, we like to contact you in the fastest way possible. Contacting you by phone is efficient and personal. Your phone number is also shared with the shipping agent delivering your parcel, so that they can contact you regarding delivery if necessary.
- Date of birth. We use your date of birth to congratulate you with a nice gift on your birthday. It also helps to know who our customers are. Entering your date of birth isn’t mandatory, but is handy for us to know.
- IP address. If you surf the net, your computer can be recognised by its IP address, kind of like the number plate on a car. If you order with us, we save your IP-address and use this to ward off fraudsters, for example.
- Payments details. When you pay us, you do so in a secure environment. We use Adyen and PayNL services to process payments. Adyen and PayNL provide connections to all of our payment providers. All of your bank details stay where they should be, which is with your bank or credit card company. We do not store or save your bank details, we just receive a notification when your payment has been successfully processed and save your preferred payment method and bank, so that you can complete payment quickly when you next visit.
- Your photos. We treat any photos that you upload on our website as personal information, which means that we treat your photos as we would our own. You can find more information on this below.
- Application data. If you want to come and work with us, we store your information in order to complete your application process. More information on this below.
- Other information. Information you provide when contacting us, writing a review or participating in a customer or market survey.
Your personal information is stored for our own use only and is never shared with third parties for commercial purposes without your permission.
We send our regular newsletters. We add you to our list of subscribers only with your permission. We use the newsletter to offer news, tips and information on our products and services. We use your email address for this, and store this information until you cancel your subscription. Your subscription to the newsletter can be cancelled at any moment. Each newsletter features an unsubscribe link.
When you contact us
You can contact us with questions or requests through the chat window on our website, Whatsapp, Facebook, Twitter and of course email. We use your email address, name and any other information you share with us during your contact with us in order to contact you. We do so in order to process your contact request, due to the agreement we have entered or will be entering into with you. We store this information until you state that you wish for the information to be deleted. This allows us to review the information when you next contact us. Telephone conversation recordings are automatically deleted after 3 months, unless we have a legal obligation to store a conversation for a longer period. We use these recordings only to improve our customer service.
Your MySurprise account
When you place your first order with us, we create an account for you. We use the email address used to place your order in order to do so. You receive an email containing a temporary password and can then change this to the password of your choice, or choose to log in using your social media account. You can of course create an account without placing an order also, for which the following information is required: your name, email address and the password of your choice.
We store your information for a maximum of 3 months once an account has been deactivated. We store this information so that you do not have to enter it every time you visit. The information can be edited at any time in the account.
Almost all of our gifts can be personalised with one or more photos. We treat your photos as personal information, which means that we use them only to personalise your gift and never share them with third parties.
Your photos are stored in order to create your gift. In order to better understand our customer’s interests, we analyse the photo contents using smart computer programmes. We do this with your prior permission only. The information we gather is stored for our own use only, in order to gain better insight into our customers. If you upload a photo but don’t place an order, your photo is automatically deleted after 30 days. If you wish for your photos to be deleted sooner, please contact our customer service.
The gifts we create are unique and made especially for you. This applies to our website and the emails and/or adverts you receive from us also. We feel that it is important to offer the best possible gift advice in every possible way, which is why we use profiling. This means that we build a profile of customers and use this to offer our customers personalised offers and show tailored adverts. We do this with your permission.
We continuously work to improve ourselves and our gifts. In order to do so, we collect information on your surfing behaviour, such as the pages and gifts you look at, the links you click on and the gifts that you place in your shopping basket (and may not end up purchasing). These statistics allow us to improve our website and show only relevant information.
Recruitment and selection of new staff
You can apply for a job with us. If you do so, we collect your name- and address details, gender, date of birth, place of birth, contact details, CV, the contents of your motivation letter and any other information you provide regarding for example motivation, salary indication. We process this information in order to take care of your application process and, if you do come to work with us, to put into place the employment contract.
Your application details are stored for a maximum of 6 weeks after the position has been filled. We store these details in order to be able to contact you in case the position becomes free once more after the trial period. If we are unable to offer a position, but expect to offer a suitable position in the near future, we can store your application details for up to a year longer, with your permission. You can decide to have the information deleted at any time by sending us an email.
If you come to work with us, we store your application details in your personnel file. This file is stored for as long as is necessary. We offer more information on this in our internal privacy statement for employees.
Your personal details are stored in a secured database. Our hosting party has the required certificates to guarantee the safe storage of your information, so there’s nothing to worry about. In some cases, we share your personal information with the following partners:
- Payment services and service providers;
- Shipping agents and service providers for connections with shipping agents;
- Our hosting party that processes and stores your information;
- we have instructed them to process certain information;
- it is necessary in order to carry out the agreement with you;
- you have given your permission for this;
- we have a legitimate interest in doing so.
We work only with companies that meet the European privacy laws, whether they are based in Europe or not.
We do not share your personal information with third parties, with the exception of the above parties, unless we are legally required to do so (for example if the police demands this if they suspect a crime has been committed).
We feel that it is important for your personal information to be safely secured with us. All information you share with us is stored in our database using a secured SSL connection. This means that only a select few have access to this information. Those who have no business accessing your information, cannot do so. We promise to use the information internally only and never share this with third parties for commercial or other purposes without your permission or legal requirement.
Changes to this privacy statement
If our webshop changes, this means we have to update our privacy statement. Always check the date below and if there are new versions available. We will do our best to notify you of any changes.
Viewing, editing and deleting your information
If you have any questions or wish to know which information we have on you, you can always contact us. You are in charge of your own information, which means you have the following rights:
- You have the right to view the personal information we process;
- You have the right to correct or add to the personal information we process, should this be incorrect or incomplete;
- You can always withdraw your permission (by turning off the use of personal cookies here, for example);
- You can object to the processing of your personal information, profiling and direct marketing;
- You can request that we remove your personal information;
- If technically possible, you have the right to have the personal information that we process transferred to yourself or a third party;
- In some cases you can request to have the processing of your personal information (temporarily) limited, which means we process less of your information.
If you contact us, we can ask you to identify yourself by sending a valid ID, to make sure that you are the person to whom the personal information belongs.
We will do our best to meet your request within 30 days. This period may be extended if your request is complex. If we extend this period, we will of course notify you immediately.
Filing a complaint
If you feel that we are not assisting you correctly, we would love to be the first to know. Please contact our customer service, so that we can assist you. If we can’t resolve the issue together, you always have the right to contact the data protection authority.
Contact detailsYourSurprise.com BV
4301 RZ Zierikzee
+31 111 762 225
This privacy statement was last modified on: 23 January 2020